1/05/2016

Unagiya Hirokawa, Kyoto - うなぎ屋 廣川

I need to share a little story.
When I was still in Primary School and Secondary School (I spent 10 years in SN), there was a stall in the canteen that would sell Unagi with Rice. Japanese Eel Rice. I don't remember how much it cost, but I do know that it was pricy. Sometimes I'd add a bit of steamed egg to make it less pathetic because you see, this piece of eel was indeed very little. 
Served with Nori, teriyaki sauce, on a bed of warm fluffy rice. I remember the taste to this day, my first Unagi don.
Fast forward to a few months ago, I tried the real and super-duper legitimate version and I am darn happy to report, this is the place to go.

Pick up the details after the jump! (You definitely won't regret it.)


Only picture!
I'm a terrible person because right now I realise we only have 1 picture of the food and I can't introduce the place to you perfectly. 

This is the Unagi Rice Bowl 'A Course' at 3900JPY (before taxes), they have up to 'D Course' which is the most expensive one at 9600JPY. 

You can find their menu here!

If you have dining companions I would suggest that 2 people share the side dishes to a course set and order another Unagi Don ala carte, because at 'A Course', the side dishes are not extraordinary.

But the UNAGI DON is amazing!!!

You can't taste it so I hope my description will do it some justice. The Unagi was extremely tender and it melts/yields with a slight touch of the chopsticks. I was surprised when I put it in my mouth because, yes the chopsticks can split it (Unagi is soft to begin with...) but then it disappeared on my tongue!!! I didn't even have to chew and now I'm not sure if I should be sad or happy that it was so soft/tender.

It had a light brushing of a sweet sauce, slight char for light smoky taste. When I felt like I wanted a change I'd just pick up a pickle or raw carp to balance my tastebuds.

Before you jump the gun and decide that this place is for you, I'd hate to burst your bubble and tell you that: This place has a super solid waiting time. 

S-U-P-E-R S-O-L-I-D

We arrived at a bad time because we went to check in at the ryokan before heading over and hit the lunch-time crowd. We waited in the queue for close about 2 hours and were famished (also slightly delirious because we were nonsensical by the time we sat down on the tatami). So the lesson we learnt here is to arrive ahead of opening hours.

This photo came about from our waiting.
After going to USJ and Disneysea we weren't strangers to queueing anymore and took things in our stride, the quality of the meal was worth it but our hunger pangs were really, really hard to ignore when the queue was so long. It certainly didn't feel like they did not have enough seats and even then they limit your order. 

For each table you are only allowed to order once, including drinks and dessert and no addition of items after that! So use your one chance wisely!

But if you aren't satisfied, fret not! The street beyond and leading to Arashiyama has plenty of snacks and green tea soft-serve that helped fill our tummies.

This is a Green Tea Soft Serve Eclair from Malebranche! I shared it with Zhiling and KY!
I will share more about Malebranche soon!

Details

Click for Webpage!
Japanese Address: 〒616-8374 京都府京都市 右京区嵯峨天龍寺北造路町44ー1
English Address: Saga-Tenryuji-kitatsukurimichicho, Ukyoku, Kyoto 616-8374, Kyoto Prefecture
Opening Hours: Closed on Mondays, 11:30am - 14:30pm, 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Nearest Station: JR Saga-Arashiyama (JR San-In line, Purple colour)

Directions: It isn't very complicated because once again, the residential area is in a grid-shape. We navigated with the help of Google maps and cut through the residential area instead of walking near the road.

Click for Google Map!
Before the residential area, you have to walk along some pavement that leads to a bicycle rental on your right, it's blocked on both sides so we couldn't tell what we were passing by.

xx wj

No comments:

Post a Comment